Re: file version compatibility (optional tokens in s-expression files)

On 1/20/2015 11:04 AM, LordBlick wrote:
> Stambaugh:
>>> I think that may be sufficient to add section [gal] to .pro file as
>>> usual
>>> project setting. In this way you can avoid the next .kicad_pcb format
>>> version change.
>>>

>> I'm not terribly thrilled about that idea.  One of the things we have
>> changed
>> over the years is to move board specific settings out of the project
>> file and
>> into the board file.  This makes the board file more portable.  If you
>> put
>> board configuration information in the project file, you will loose it
>> when
>> you try to use the board file as a stand alone board.  Ultimately, the
>> project file should only contain settings that have project wide
>> scope. All
>> board and schematic specific configuration should be saved in the
>> appropriate
>> file.
> Is on a kicad roadmap multi-board projecting ? If no, there's no much
> difference
> where one board settings are stored, regardlessly of how much work was
> done…

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by multi-board projects.  Are you
talking about multiple copies of the same board (arrays for
panelization) or different boards from a single schematic?  I'm not sure
how the latter would even work.  Generally speaking there is a one to
one correlation between a schematic and a board.  We sort of support
multiple copies of the same board using the append board feature.  The
short answer to your question is there are no plans for multi-board
projects at this time.