Re: Are build warnings and notes normal?

From the KiCad directory, I loaded a fresh source copy by:

   bzr checkout lp:kicad kicad.bzr

(I use the checkout so I can enter the kicad.bzr and do ‘bzr up’ )

Then enter the kicad.bzr directory and do:

   sh ../kicad-configure.sh 2>&1 | tee config.out

The kicad-configure.sh file is attached.

Then do:

   make 2>&1 | tee ../kicad_make.out

The ../ is to put the output file into my KiCad directory so it is safe
if I do another bzr checkout

Then when that finishes, do:

   sudo make install 2>&1 | tee ../kicad_install.out

sudo - I think it is being installed in directories with restrictive
permissions.

Then when that finishes, double-click the /Applications/kicad which is
soft linked to the executable generated in the install step above.

The output from Help->Copy Version Information is: (don’t forget to exit
so clipboard contents is fresh)

Application: kicad
Version: (2015-01-28 BZR 5393)-product Debug build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,UTF-8,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,GCC
4.2.1,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 14.1.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Boost version: 1.57.0
         USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
         USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
         KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
         KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
         KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
         USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
         BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
         KICAD_USE_WEBKIT=ON

Now, from the KiCad directory, execute the count-warnings.rb and
warning-histo.rb programs
(programs are attached - sorry they are not python)

Bobs-MacBook-Air:KiCad bobgus$ ruby count-warnings.rb kicad_make.out
7652 total warnings
Bobs-MacBook-Air:KiCad bobgus$ ruby warning-histo.rb kicad_make.out

warning

  7459    template argument uses unnamed type [-Wunnamed-type-template
   314    'BOARD::SetLayer' hides overloaded virtual function [-Woverl
    56    'LIB_PART::GetBoundingBox' hides overloaded virtual function
    33    comparison of constant 4294967295 with expression of type 'i
    23    'SHAPE_LINE_CHAIN::Collide' hides overloaded virtual functio
    14    comparison of constant 4294967295 with expression of type 'L
     4    comparison of constant 4294967294 with expression of type 'L
     4    'PCAD2KICAD::PCB_PAD::AddToModule' hides overloaded virtual
     4    'KIGFX::CACHED_CONTAINER::GetVertices' hides overloaded virt
     3    'PCAD2KICAD::PCB_CUTOUT::Parse' hides overloaded virtual fun
     3    comparison of unsigned expression >= 0 is always true [-Wtau
     2    'PCAD2KICAD::PCB::Parse' hides overloaded virtual function [
     2    variable 'FullFileName' is uninitialized when used within it
     2    'PCAD2KICAD::PCB_KEEPOUT::Parse' hides overloaded virtual fu
     2    private field 'm_writable' is not used [-Wunused-private-fie
     1    private field 'm_currentWidth' is not used [-Wunused-private
     1    private field 'm_startLayer' is not used [-Wunused-private-f
     1    implicit conversion of NULL constant to 'bool' [-Wnull-conve
     1    private field 'm_startsOnVia' is not used [-Wunused-private-
     1    comparison of constant 4294967294 with expression of type 'i
     1    'va_start' has undefined behavior with reference types [-Wva
     1    private field 'm_iteration' is not used [-Wunused-private-fi
     1    private field 'm_viaDiameter' is not used [-Wunused-private-
     1    private field 'm_Parent' is not used [-Wunused-private-field
     1    private field 'm_viaDrill' is not used [-Wunused-private-fie
     1    private field 'mur_eff' is not used [-Wunused-private-field]

Done, total = 7936 of warning

note

  7113    while substituting deduced template arguments into function
  5103    in instantiation of template class 'boost::polygon::is_polyg
  4879    in instantiation of template class 'boost::polygon::is_any_p
  1404    in instantiation of template class 'boost::polygon::is_mutab
   606    in instantiation of template class 'boost::polygon::is_eithe
   314    hidden overloaded virtual function 'BOARD_ITEM::SetLayer' de
    56    hidden overloaded virtual function 'EDA_ITEM::GetBoundingBox
    46    hidden overloaded virtual function 'SHAPE::Collide' declared
    30    in instantiation of function template specialization 'boost:
     5    hidden overloaded virtual function 'PCAD2KICAD::PCB_POLYGON:
     4    hidden overloaded virtual function 'PCAD2KICAD::PCB_COMPONEN
     4    hidden overloaded virtual function 'KIGFX::VERTEX_CONTAINER:
     2    hidden overloaded virtual function 'PCAD2KICAD::PCB_MODULE::

Done, total = 19566 of note
Bobs-MacBook-Air:KiCad bobgus$

The count from the two programs don't quite match.. Nothing is perfect :-)

Have fun

Bob G