Re: OSX Nightlies Update

Hi Wayne,

Sure.  Let me quickly summarize how it's set up now.

There's a kicad.$date.dmg, that has all the docs, all the libraries, no
footprints, and all the 3d models.  It's set up to grab the footprints from
github.

There's a readme, that is mostly static, but has some "at build time"
generated parts:

KiCad
=====
KiCad is an EDA software suite for the creation of professional schematics
and printed circuit boards up to 32 copper layers. KiCad runs on Windows,
Linux and OS X and is released under the open-source GNU GPL v2 free of
charge.  KiCad comes with a rich set of libraries with 3D models as well.

KiCad is a mature EDA software tool under active development by a team of
developers and a vibrant user group.

Important Note
==============
This is a "nightly" build, which means that it was the most bleeding edge,
least tested version of KiCad when it was created.  OS X nightlies are very
new, and there are likely issues that have been introduced in the packaging
process.  Please let us know if you have any problems so we can work to
make them better for everyone.

Also, there is no Python support in the OS X nightlies yet.

Installation
============
To install KiCad, click and drag the two folder icons to the targets
pointed at by the arrows.

After dropping kicad onto Application Support, you may be asked to
authenticate with an administrator username and password.  This installs
the support files for KiCad for all users on the system.

KiCad is now installed!  Inside of /Applications will be a directory called
kicad, and inside of that are all the programs in KiCad.  The project
manager is the one labeled kicad, and is probably where you want to start.

Upgrading
=========
If you have already installed KiCad, you can upgrade by following the
installation procedure.  It is not likely you made any changes in
/Library/Application Support/kicad, but if you did, they will likely be
removed when you drag the kicad folder to Application Support.

Footprints
==========
KiCad supports many types of footprints, but by default, it is set up to
use footprints maintained by KiCad volunteers on Github.  This requires an
active internet connection.  Alternatively, you can use these same
footprints and install them to your system locally, removing the need for
an active internet connection.  These are available in the KiCad Extras DMG
(http://downloads.kicad-pcb.org/osx).

Documentation
=============
Documentation is available online at
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+Documentation.  It is also
available inside the various KiCad programs under the Help menu, and after
installing from this disk image, is also available at /Library/Application
Support/kicad/help.

Changelog
=========
You can browse the changelog at
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-product-committers/kicad/product/changes
.

Reporting Issues
================
The KiCad developers are working hard to provide quality, binary releases
to our users.  As of January 2015, the OS X package is under heavy, active
development.

If you encounter issues with this software, please report a bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad.

To help us, please include the details from "About This Build" in this file
or the name of the download file (kicad-r*.dmg).  Please also include the
output from running the following command in the Terminal:

    sw_vers

Uninstalling
============
To completely uninstall KiCad, delete the .apps from /Applications,
/Library/Application Support/kicad (if it exists), and
~/Library/Application Support/kicad (if it exists).

About This Build
================
Packaged on 20150502-102027
KiCad revision: r5404
KiCad CMake Settings: -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/bin/clang
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/clang++ -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=../MacOSX10.7.sdk
-DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7
-DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=../wx/wx-bin/bin/wx-config
-DKICAD_SCRIPTING=OFF -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=OFF
-DKICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../bin
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
KiCad patched with following patches:
osx_help_search_path.patch
osx_kisysmod3d.patch
Docs revision: r662
Libraries revision: r20150502-101837
Build script revision: r43
Packaging script revision: r43

Then, inside of the extras dmg, there's the offline footprints, and a copy
of the fp-lib-table that points to all the offline footprints, along with a
readme.

KiCad Extras
==========

KiCad supports many types of footprints, but by default, it is set up to
use footprints maintained by KiCad volunteers on GitHub.  This requires an
active internet connection.

Alternatively, you can use these same footprints and install them to your
system locally, removing the need for an active internet connection.  This
DMG contains an archive of those footprints and the configuration to use
them.

Installation
============
Before you can install KiCad's footprints for offline use, you need to
install KiCad and open it at least once.

Click and drag the folder icons to the target pointed at by the arrows.
You may be asked to authenticate with an administrator username and
password.

Additionally, you need to configure your library table.  This DMG includes
a library table that knows about all the footprint libraries in this DMG.
To use it, copy the fp-lib-table from the DMG to
~/Library/Preferences/kicad/.  You can do this in a terminal, or through
the Finder.  In the Finder, you can do this by opening a new Finder window,
clicking on Go -> Go to Folder..., and then entering
~/Library/Preferences/kicad into the dialog box.  Then, drag fp-lib-table
from this DMG into the Finder window you just opened.

(We know this is onerous, and have a plan to fix it!)

At this point, if you open (or reopen, if it was already open) PCBNew, you
should be able to browse and add footprints without needing internet access.

Important Note
==============
OS X nightly packages are very new, and there are likely issues that have
been introduced in the packaging process.  Please let us know if you have
any problems so we can work to make them better for everyone.

Reporting Issues
================
The KiCad developers are working hard to provide quality, binary releases
to our users.  As of February 2015, the OS X package is under heavy, active
development.

If you encounter issues with this software, please report a bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad.

About This Build
================
Packaged on 20150502-102112
Github libraries copied on: r20150502-101837
Build script revision: r43
Packaging script revision: r43

So, if you ignore the extras DMG, everything works (or should, there's a
few issues in this latest one) without additional configuration as long as
you're online, and there's clear instructions on how to get everything
working in offline mode.

Please let me know how you want me to proceed.

Adam Wolf