Re: Global fp-lib-table path

It seems it is still not clear what I meant, so one last try to clarify.

Lets assume I have *my own* KiCad repository (git, svn, whatever) on *my server* which looks like this:
KiCad-Repo/
   Modules/
     abc.pretty/
       …
     xyz.pretty/
       …
   Packages3D/
      abc/
         …
   fp-lib-table
The KiCad-Repo/fp-lib-table contains everything of *my* repository.

Regardless from where KiCad expects it I sync this repository to somewhere in my home directory.
Using $KISYSMOD and $KISYS3DMOD i can point KiCad directly to use my …/KiCad-Repo/Modules or
…/KiCad-Repo/Packages3D folder.
No need to copy/link/etc. the modules/models anywhere or sync them to some KiCad specific folder (I would possibly forget to save/submit on next reinstall).
The same on all my machines… just sync, no need to configure sth. via GUI, etc. Yes, I have to set $KISYS… correctly.

The only “problem” with that setup is that I can’t point KiCad to just use my …/KiCad-Repo/fp-lib-table.
Currently, I symlink ~/Library/Preferences/kicad/fp-lib-table => …/KiCad-Repo/fp-lib-table.

This works without any problems, but normally no user would fiddle around in the preferences folder to do that.
And, I don’t see any reason why the base path for fp-lib-table also shouldn’t be configurable to support such a repository setup (I don’t think that it is so uncommon).

Either using $KISYSMOD or defining a new variable seemed to be pretty trivial at first glance, but you for sure know the code better than me.
So, if this is interesting, I could try to come up with a patch.
If not, I will live with symlinks just as I do now.

Regards,
Bernhard