Re: Stable release update.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 02:47:45PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> As you all know we are currently working towards a stable release.  I
> need to get and idea of what open items are left before I declare a
> feature freeze.  Here is the list of things I know about:
>
> * Environment variable path edit dialog (me, in progress).
> * Add bitmaps and missing entries to GAL canvas context menu (CERN).
> * Python API (Miguel).
> * OSX track pad (Garth).
>
> Are there any other features that are on the radar for the next stable
> release?  I will make exceptions on a case by case basis after the
> freeze but I don't want to get blind sided by any unexpected feature
> requests the week before the stable release.

These are my suggestions for new features for this stable release or the
next, whatever you think is better.

* new documentation access in place

I mean, you know, the new documentation format is able to produce:

1) nationalized output
2) more than one format output: html, pdf, epub and more

Now the program use a pdf reader for consulting the documentation.
We can:

1) switch to html format for the default documentation format to be more
easily consulted (so no pdf reader but an html browser instead)

2) enable a fallback to let people do not install kicad doc package and
read the docs direcly on line

3) let the program switch the language docs automatically using the
program language preference (if I use the program in Italian I would
probably prefer to read the docs in Italian too)

4) in the future this switch will enable us to have even a "context
sensitive help command" in which a user will be able to open the user
(reference) manual directy in the page describing the command icon under
which the mouse pointer is in that moment. To make sure that this happens
the docs should be edited by inserting references to the right places.

* move the .po files from the docs tree to the main source tree

This to manage automatically during compilation process:

1) the production of the binary .mo files

2) update automatically the .po files from the sources without relying on
an external program (poedit) features and having to commit the binary .mo
files together with the source .po files

Bear in mind that I am not a programmer, and these are suggestions that I
am not able to do by myself. I really wish I were able to attach a patch
for this!

--

Marco Ciampa

| GNU/Linux User  #78271 |