Stable release update.

We are getting closer to the stable release branch.  I am on vacation
from June 27th to July 5th so I will be making a big push to create a
stable release candidate branch on Lauchpad some time that week.  I will
need some help to make that happen.  Here are the main issues:

Bugs:

See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.importance%3Alist=CRITICAL&field.importance%3Alist=HIGH&assignee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.bug_commenter=&field.subscriber=&field.structural_subscriber=&field.tag=&field.tags_combinator=ANY&field.has_cve.used=&field.omit_dupes.used=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.affects_me.used=&field.has_patch.used=&field.has_branches.used=&field.has_branches=on&field.has_no_branches.used=&field.has_no_branches=on&field.has_blueprints.used=&field.has_blueprints=on&field.has_no_blueprints.used=&field.has_no_blueprints=on

There are a few bugs in this list that probably shouldn't have a
critical or high severity.  I've already commented on bugs that I
believe should have their severity changed.  The rest need to be
addressed before the stable branch occurs.  The one that is the most
disconcerting is the symbol library editor bug #1445848.  If someone can
come up with a reliable method to reproduce this I would appreciate it.
 I also think most of the GAL bugs in this list have already been
addressed.  Can someone please confirm?

Documentation:

Is the documentation ready to be transferred to
https://github.com/KiCad?  If not, what is left to do?  At one point I
was waiting on Orson to merge the P&S router documentation and Brian to
merge the CMake configuration code.  Have both of these been completed?
 Also, some of the grammar in our English documentation could use some
work.  If you have the time please fix as much as possible before the
stable release.  Every little bit makes a difference.

Libraries:

If there are any last minute changes to the symbol, footprint, and/or 3D
model libraries, now is the time to get that done.  We should probably
tag the library repos when we release the stable branch so the packagers
can pull the same libraries if the need be.

Packages:

We will have to provide stable packages for windows, osx, and debian
based distros.  Do we have an rpm distro package?  If so, that would be
useful as well.  I will add the stable source package to Launchpad for
package builders to download.  I will also update the msys2/mingw
PKGBUILD file to download the stable source.

Website:

There was a request to update the website with some new images for the
stable release which I think is a good idea.  If anyone can make that
happen by the end of July, that would be awesome.  It's not a show
stopper but it would be a nice touch.

Stable branch:

Once the bugs above have been addressed, I will create a stable release
branch 4.0.0-rc1 on launchpad.  This branch should be used to create
stable packages for testing.  I would like a few weeks of calm before
the actual stable release is made to make sure we didn't miss anything.
 Once the rc stable branch is created on launchpad, I will still place a
moratorium on new features being added to the product branch in order to
keep the focus on the stable branch until it's released.  Once the
stable branch is release is official, I will open up the product branch
for new feature development.

If there is anything I missed, please let me know and thank you to
everyone who has put forth the effort to make this happen.

Cheers,