Re: [RFC] Footprint wizard

On 03/19/2015 08:42 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Good work!
> Thanks to you, Orson a Tomasz
>
> It looks fine on W7, but I have some remarks:
>
> 1 - the proposed nickname contains the file or directory extension.
> The current convention is to use the basic name (without extension).
> Footprint names should not be sensible to the type of plugin.
> (currently, keeping the extension breaks the existing components to fp
> links)
>
> 2 - From my point of view the way environment variables are used is
> wrong: the KIPRJMOD is always used, and full paths are made relative
> to this path.
> I am thinking the 2 env vars can be used only when the full path
> *starts by* one of these 2 defined paths.
> In other words they can be used for paths which are a subpath of the
> defined paths.
> (Keep in mind as soon as the env vars dialog editor is available, more
> paths are also available)
> If this is not the case, the full path must be used (using a env vars
> has no sense if the library is not in the defined path).
>
> 3 - An important feature of the "old" wizard is the ability to
> download libs from Github, and make a local copy (or update this local
> copy)
> Please do not forget this feature: it is especially important for new
> users.
> For most of users, working directly with on-line libraries is not good
> (noticeable time to download, mainly each time you run CvPcb, no
> control of changes ... )
> So Github libs should be seen like the "Vault" of Altium.
>
> It could be a third option in the main page of the wizard like
> "download kicad libs and make local copy" or a separate dialog or wizard.
> About fp libs, some associated 3D fp lib shapes (now folders with
> .3dshapes extension) have to be downloaded.
> They are too big to be used online, and should be copied locally to
> the KISYS3DMOD when you are using a new kicad footprint library.
> They are currently on:
> https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/tree/master/modules/packages3d
> and the wizard must have an option to download select 3d libs, like
> the option to download/use .pretty libs.
>
> This is especially important for newbies, but also other users.
>
> Again, thanks to you.
>
> (PS: you can delete the now not used webview folder)

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Quite sensible suggestions. They are already implemented in the patch
attached to this message and the previously mentioned git repository.

There is just one difference regarding the second point. I use only the
KIPRJMOD variable, as it enables portable projects. I think the main
purpose of KISYSMOD is to create generic fp-lib-table configurations
that can be easily adjusted, so it is not necessary here.

I will merge the changes once I get a report from Adam (thank you in
advance!), and there are no other objections.

Regards,
Orson