Re: Bob's Mac Usability Problems

Hi Piotr

Thanks much for the nice explanation.

OpenGL looks like the correct direction.

Best regards - Bob G

On 04/02/2015 02:49 PM, Piotr Esden-Tempski wrote:
Hi Bob,

I did not change the resolution of my whole screen. I only told Mac OS
to start Kicad.app in low resolution mode. (it makes all the children
start in that mode too)

This is how I solved it, see section "Retina display slow”

http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/DEV/Known+System+Related+Issues

Obviously this can be also achieved by telling the OS to decrease the
resolution of the Retina display but then all applications will run at
lower resolution. This is not a good solution to the problem. I also
have an external screen which is not HiDPI and moving the window over
there makes it also run faster.

Also this has nothing to do with thunderbolt speed. Apple is usually
not selling stuff they can not drive. This is why the 5k iMac display
can not be used from an external computer but only from the built in
one. The speed issues are related to KiCad not being able to render so
many pixels not that the machine can not control the display. As I
assume the default and cairo views don’t use any hardware acceleration
and have to render all those pixels in software.

The OpenGL graphics mode is the only mode that has no issues rendering
on that display and is totally fine with the resolution. For default
view and even worse cairo I have to start in the “Low Resolution mode”
this way the software thinks the display is low resolution and has to
render much fewer pixels. The operating system then scales it up,
probably using hardware, so that it is not so tiny on the screen.

Also the only application I use that has speed issues on this display
is KiCad at the moment. I can’t wait to see OpenGL canvas be used
throughout KiCad so I can take advantage of the nice screen. :D But I
am totally fine with the lowres mode for now, just sharing the current
state of affairs. :)

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Cheers,
Piotr