Re: Problem of kicad-source and kicad-doc Packaging Help Documents

On 09/13/2015 01:36 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
The docs in lp:~kicad-developers/kicad/doc are obsolete.  The latest
docs are on github and are rebuilt whenever changes are made to the git
repo and should be downloaded from there.

It looks like your original problem is that you either did not configure
CMake properly and/or didn't run sudo make install.  You cannot install
the docs in /usr on linux without root privileges.

I've been cloning all the sources from the github, as shown here:

|git clone https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror.git git clone https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library.git git clone https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-doc.git|

Are they the correct ways to get the latest sources? Did I miss anything?

I also properly used "sudo" when required, so that should not be a factor.

With these sources compiled and installed together, Pcbnew fails when I click "Help -> Contents", with an error pop-up window saying "Help file 'pcbnew' could not be found".

The failure above is inevitable, because the running pcbnew is looking for file name "pcbnew.pdf", while the actual doc file name installed as "Pcbnew.pdf", noticing the mixed-case capital P in the actual file name.

One way to find out what the actual file name kicad is trying to open, you can use Linux command "strace -o /tmp/kicad.out kicad", and then try click "Help -> Contents". And then inspect the file "/tmp/kicad.out" for any "*.pdf" file name. And this is how I found the mixed-case file name.

So my debugging shows that the root cause is the mis-matched directory names and mixed-case file names, unless I got the source in a wrong way.

--JC