Re: PATCH: make handling of SetUseGerberExtensions() work

On 20 October 2015 at 11:34, jp charras <jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 20/10/2015 06:45, Henner Zeller a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> When setting the SetUseGerberExtensions() in python, the choice was
>> not honored. This is fixing it.
>>
>> Suggested commit message:
>> Fix Plotcontroller to make SetUseGerberExtensions() work as expected.
>>
>> Find patch here:
>> https://github.com/hzeller/kicad/compare/master...hzeller:fix-usegerberextension-scripting.diff
>>
>> -h
>
> Thanks.
>
> I committed a fix derived from your patch, among other fixes in rev 6272.
>
> Can you test it ?

Yes it works, thanks!

I noticed that you internally renamed the GetGerberExtension() to
GetGerberProtelExtension(). I think this is a much better name and
less confusing. It also makes it easier to relate the UI (which talks
about Protel).

I think we should go a step further while it doesn't hurt too much yet:
Given that we haven't released it too much yet to the public (well the
users are probably limited), I think there is a good opportunity _now_
that we also rename the external API for the plot properties:
{Set,Get}UseGerberExtensions() to {Set,Get}UseGerberProtelExtensions().

The name 'GerberExtensions' is very ambiguous and it is not very clear
what they mean (I would've assumed just *.gbr when reading it), while
ProtelExtension would be very specific and clear.

(We might keep the {Set,Get}UseGerberExtensions() functions at first
in the Python API, but output a loud warning that the name changed,
and remove it entirely soon).

WDYT ?
-h