GAL selection improvement suggestions

We've been having a bit of a discussion in #kicad - there's a particular annoyance in GAL related to rev 6324 / bug 1517216 (the footprint delete confirmation). If you're zoomed in "inside" a large footprint - to work on traces running under it, for instance - it's really easy to accidentally select that footprint. Then you operate on it, perhaps deleting it, often without realizing it's gone until much later when you zoom out. A couple of us have run into this and find it really annoying.

What about:

1. Make it more obvious the footprint is selected. Perhaps highlight the entire bounding box instead of just the pads/graphics in it?

2. Maybe refuse to select something when you're zoomed into it too far? If a footprint exceeds my entire screen, I proooobably don't want to select it...

--
Chris

Follow ups