Re: Occasional hang in Cvpcb when retrieving footprint libraries from github

Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The other option is compile footprint_info.cpp with
>
> #define USE_WORKER_THREADS      0

As it turns out, I could reproduce also when building with Boost 1.55, and
even with #define USE_WORKER_THREADS 0. So it appears to be a race related
to the arrival of packets on the network or something, not an inter-thread
race.

> multiple threads.  I've never had any issues with this so I'm not sure
> why all of a sudden we are having issues with this.

I'm not sure it is all of a sudden. I remember seeing it before some time
ago, though I did not investigate deeper at the time.

I think it is just a very elusive bug that happens only in special
circumstances. Testing a bit more, I discovered that I seem to only be able
to reproduce while having a specific program (vlc) open in the background -
and even then it is only in 10% of cases or something like that.

Since I am able to reproduce, even in a single-threaded configuration, I
will poke around a bit and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

 - Kristian.