Re: Uninitialized KISYSMOD issue on OS X?

On 12/3/2015 3:08 PM, Adam Wolf wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> A user is having a problem with the latest OS X RC2 release, and I
> haven't been able to figure it out.
>
> Quick background:
>
> There is a KiCad package, and a KiCad Extras package.  The KiCad Extras
> package has a modules/ directory in it, and it has all the footprints.
> It's for offline use.  It also has an fp-table-lib, which uses KISYSMOD
> to point at the modules, like this:
>
>   (lib (name Capacitors_SMD)(type KiCad)(uri
> ${KISYSMOD}/Capacitors_SMD.pretty)(options "")(descr "The way you like
> them."))
>
> My builds have DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH set to /Library/Application
> Support/kicad, like I want them to.  I checked the build output, and it
> shows:
>
> -- Kicad install dir: </Library/Application Support/kicad>
>

> Great, awesome, exactly like I want it.
>
> On the other hand--we have a user, who newly installed KiCad on his Mac,
> and it looks like his KISYSMOD is being set to a path on the build
> system, probably CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1426754)  (This was happening
> previously, and I started to set DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH, and things got
> better for people after they cleared their preferences.)
>
> As far as I can tell, those defaults are set in common/pgm_base.cpp, and
> the only Mac specific ifdef is to not include /share/kicad/ in
> KISYSMOD's path. (Which is correct.)
>
> I cleared all my KiCad preferences and reinstalled the same package he
> did (as part of testing the RC2, like I do with most significant builds)
> and did not have this issue.
>
> The only possible issue I see when looking for DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH
> stuff for OS X is in common/systemdirsappend.cpp, in void
> SystemDirsAppend( SEARCH_STACK* aSearchStack ). Instead of adding
> DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH, it uses some OS X specific functions, but those
> seem to be working fine.
>
> So.  This is happening to a user, and I cannot reproduce it, but I'm
> worried about releasing 4.0.0 on OS X without more information.  I know
> of 30+ installs of 4.0.0 RC2 that *didn't* have this issue for Jimmy,
> but I suspect they all had existing preference files.
>
> 1) Does anyone have any insight?
>
> 2) Should this hold up the 4.0.0 package for OS X?  I have no real
> qualms about doing this and then releasing a 4.0.0-2 as soon as this
> gets figured out.

If others are having this issue as well, I would say wait.  If he is the
only one having this issue, I say go ahead and roll out the 4.0.0 stable
release.  I'm guessing a 4.0.1 stable release will happen this weekend
since there is a patch to fix the gal canvas segment drag issue which I
don't want to leave unresolved for users.