Re: help with 3D normals

Actually, I researched a bit better and it appears vrml has a concept of
"crease angle"
http://accad.osu.edu/~pgerstma/class/vnv/resources/info/AnnotatedVrmlRef/ch2-26.htm
So you shouldnt split the mesh when saving to wrl, since a compliant viewer
should take into account the creaseangle field when calculating the normals
for rendering. And the model splitting logic should happen in the viewer
when sending the faces to opengl.

You just need to make sure you have no face normals pointing the wrong way
and have no holes or duplicate vertexes in the mesh.