Re: Mac legacy graphics slowness?

Hi,

I got a trace and that doesn’t look very different to what e.g. I see on my machine.

One observation is that we are spending almost 1/3 of the drawing time in drawing the grid.
Unfortunately, on OSX wxWidgets DrawPoint() has no native expression, so it is mapped to drawing a line (x, y, x+1, y+1).
So, we draw many very small lines here…
Scrolling with deactivated grid is by far more smooth/snappy, so improving this would definitely help.

I’ll try if some other basic drawing primitive like rectangle or circle or a different pen might result in better performance (I don’t have very much hope in that).

Another idea:
In GAL canvas grid is already drawn as lines and not as dots as in legacy.
Personally, I also like dots as grid better but as a last resort to improve performance any objections about drawing grid as lines also in default canvas (maybe only on OSX)?

And:
In the DrawGrid() code there has been some Blit-Code to draw/copy the grid which obviously didn’t work according to the comment and was removed somewhen (comment is still there…).
Does anybody know why it was not used or didn’t work and would this probably be another alternative?

Regards,
Bernhard