Re: Is there a way to design PCB's cooperatively with a 3D Cad program?

Hi Cem,

I'm the developer of kicad StepUp

as Mario Pointed out you can have a real 3D ECAD MCAD collaboration between kicad and a MCAD sw (open source can be FreeCAD, but SolidWorks can be fine too)

kicad StepUp tools have also a collision detect option, so you can check any enclosure constrains
https://kicad-info.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/1X/b3ca3668e35d1424285741eb81b4f40cbfc08329.png
https://forum.kicad.info/t/wishlist-quick-extrusion-of-3d-models-for-footprints/1726/3

Please have a look at the forum
https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-stepup-new-exporter-for-3d-mcad-feedbacks-are-welcome/1048

and here you can find a lot of info and a lot of MCAD 3D libraries compatible with Kicad
https://forum.kicad.info/t/3d-new-library-for-mechanical-cad-exporting-and-enclosure-design/1763

and here some more tips
https://forum.kicad.info/t/how-to-interactive-align-3d-model-to-pcbnew-footprint-new-tool-for-kicad-in-altium-style/1711
https://forum.kicad.info/t/trouble-importing-full-3d-pcb-into-solidworks/569

Please feel free to contact me if you may need further information

I would be glad to get a feedback on the use of my kicad StepUp MCAD exporter :)

PS kicad StepUp uses only open source tools like Kicad and FreeCAD, so everything is fine both for personal and business purposes

keep in touch
Maurice