Re: ERC and labels

Le 19/02/2016 22:05, Simon Richter a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm rebasing my patch stack on top of the latest changes and am
> wondering about the interaction between the ERC and labels.
>
> Could we simplify the ERC with the changes I've submitted,
> effectively treating labels similar to pins, and assigning them a
> virtual electrical type, depending on their orientation?
>
> Simon

Well, what do you mean by "simplify the ERC"?
There is no code to compare electrical type of labels.
You cannot make less than no code.

Hierarchical, global and pin sheet labels have no electrical type.
They just have a shape, to help the reader to analyze the schematic.
>From the electrical point of view, there are equivalent to a wire
between 2 similar labels.

They are not similar to pins: you can connect 2 pin sheet labels with
an output shape, and do not create any design issue (this is not the
case when connecting 2 output pins).

Moreover, a sheet pin "output" label should be connected to an output
pin in the sub-hierarchy (through a Hlabel) to be an actual output
label, and this is not compatible with the proposal "labels similar to
pins"

Actual ERC issues are already taken in account by comparing pin
electrical types.

Connecting 2 pin sheet labels with an output shape (2 pin output sheet
labels) could be only seen as "Bad Schematic Practice" (BSP Check?),
just like drawing a wire, bus or label which overlap a component.

But BSPC (certainly a very useful tool, when we see some
schematics...) is an other topic than ERC.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS