translation code rework

As part of the translation code rework that i am working on (and
auto-detection) part of it is moving the need for changing anything in
code to add a new language. As part of this involves the flags i was
wondering whether anyone would be against moving them into the i18n
repo (and distributed in the individual language folders, so that if
kicad is compiled with having icons enabled in the menu they could
still be used but they will be pulled at runtime so no addtional code
nor icons required in the kicad tree

Something unrelated to the flags but similar is do we need the
translations tab with all the translators in the about box? or would a
better place be in the i18n repo on github and linked from the website
and only the current translation information provided in the about
dialog. This can be pulled at runtime from the po files using the
Language-Team header in the po file. There are a few ways this could
be left how it is, including having a list of all INSTALLED
translations in the translations tab instead of only showing current,
would just require the program at startup processing all the language
files to get the header information.

for example the one in the ru po file is
"Language-Team: Russian KiCad Translation Team: Andrey Fedorushkov, Eldar "
"Khayrullin, Igor Plyatov <andrf@xxxxxxx>\n"

As i only know english i haven't had the oppurtunity to use the po
utility but i have been advised this is a setting rather than just
something that is edited manually

the one in the fr po file is
"Language-Team: jp-charras\n"

which if this idea is implemented jp might need to change his to be a
bit more informative, (at least being his full name or something)

I think i have mentioned before about making the language list in
preferences reliant on whether the i18n files have been installed so
that people don't get caught up with wondering why no other languages
work.

Mainly i am looking for arguments against moving the flags into the
i18n repo as that may prove that most of my code is not possible.
seeing as some people seem to be against just ditching the flags

thanks

Simon

Follow ups