Re: Missing Feature in Eeschema

On 12.03.2016 15:54, Chris Pavlina wrote:
You're doing it the wrong way around - if the documentation suggests doing it
this way, it should probably be changed.

First, place the hierarchical labels _inside_ the sheets (not the sheet symbols
- switch to that sheet and place them) using the "Place a hierarchical label"
button directly under the global label button.

Then, go back to the parent sheet, and use "Place hierarchical pin imported
from the corresponding hierarchical label" (two above graphic lines) to import
them.

In the future, this might be the sort of question best posted to the users
list, in many cases this might have gone ignored.
Thanks for the reply.
I regarded this a "bug", because I know the KiCad documentation quite good and felt it a hole in the design.
Yes I know the "classic" KiCad way.
I did not know that there is a wrong way for a tool that aims to be as useful as possible to a broad user base.

Some years ago I worked in a company with Zuken EDA that provided that functionality and I expected it to work in KiCad too, because the basics are here and just one thing is missing to make it work.

Just for clarification, what I try to do and that for me the "KiCad way" feels the "wrong way" (at least cumbersome).

* Set up a parent schematic with all the sheets to partition the design in logical/practical sections * define the connections and place pins needed between the sections, redefine if necessary - now the "pins" are there on the sheets for later use inside the actual schematic
-- until here this works in KiCad already --
* when starting work on the schematic: import the hierarchical pins on the sheet as labels -- this is missing --

This is much faster than:

* Set up a parent schematic with all the sheets to partition the design in logical/practical sections
* open _each_ schematic (10 in my case) place labels inside
* go to parent schematic and import all labels on all sheets
* define the connections needed between the sections
* if some seem not best:
  - open corresponding schematics (min. 2 per signal)
  - rename/remove/add label
  - open parent schematic
  - "cleanup sheet pins"
  - add new sheet pins

All that is missing is an "import sheetpins" feature in the actual schematic to get a much smoother experience. The old way is still available for those who prefer this.

Which reminds me, that it is at least a bit annoying, that KiCad does no automatic renaming of the sheet-pin when the hierarchic label is renamed in the schematic (two way sync would be perfect).

Regards,
  André