Re: Python build options

Le 07/06/2016 à 20:31, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
> wxPython is (was?) the problem child.  When the python scripting was
> originally written, wxPython wasn't always provided in a usable form on
> all platforms (think Windows with native python) so we had to be able to
> provide a python pcbnew library without wxPython support.  Since the
> advent of the msys2 project, this is much less of an issue.  I'm not
> sure merging these all into a single build option is completely risk free.

Yes, wxPython support is a serious problem, not only on Windows, but on all platforms.

To be able to build Kicad without wxPython support is *mandatory*, for instance to be able to try
new versions of wxWidgets, or fix a wxWidgets issue (it happens sometimes ...), and rebuild
wxWidgets (obviously without wxPython support, because it does not exist).

But only 2 options (DKICAD_SCRIPTING=ON/OFF (with modules generation) and
-DKICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON/OFF) could be enough for me.
( building Kicad without python support is also mandatory, because it is *really* faster, and useful
for testing purposes)

Currently I am using:
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON or OFF (ON for usual build, OFF for testing builds)
and
-DKICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON (sometimes) or OFF (usually).

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS