Re: update on STEP visualization

Hi,

> On 15 Aug 2016, at 05:45, Cirilo Bernardo <cirilo.bernardo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  Back in May I also received some tips on building the plugin for
> OSX: https://github.com/cbernardo/kicad_oce_3D/issues/1 <https://github.com/cbernardo/kicad_oce_3D/issues/1>
[...]

>  We still need a volunteer to do some work to get an OSX build
> of OCE and the 3D plugin, and from there I can put the 3D plugin
> *and* a kicad_pcb to STEP converter into KiCad. (Any
> volunteers?)

What exactly do you expect?

As far as I read the post above everything is fine on OS X.
You have to install/compile OCE, compile the plugin, and copy it to KiCad bundle.
That’s exactly what I would expect for an out-of-tree plugin.

Do you think of a binary release of the plugin like KiCad itself?
That’s maybe not so easy because of the OCE dependency which is not bundled for a simple .so plugin like the other decencies for KiCad.
If just distributing some .so, the target system might not have OCE, the wrong version, or even some wrong KiCad version.

For Linux this might be easy, because the “fits together” is done by the package manager.
I could imagine that this is a similar problem on Windows, how do you think the plugin (including all dependencies) should be distributed there?

Or of per default including it to KiCad packages?

Regards,
Bernhard