Re: SWIG binding

On 16.09.2016 18:01, Michael Steinberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> when activating python bindings on my msvc build with a few refactor
> commits applied, it came to my attention that SWIG simply does not
> support std::unique_ptr.
>
> With this message I want to ask what is the common view whether it is
> okay to have SWIG thumbscrew the project's source code, considering
> there are alternative generators, and generatorless libraries like
> pybind11. Of those alternatives I would *personally* prefer the latter,
> as it is no black box and the binding generation is part of the normal
> c++ source code.
> There's been a discussion on the irc channel regardings this and also
> the dependency on having wx exported as well. So I thought the logical
> consequence would be to broaden the audience and move the discussion here.

Hi Michael,

It may sound controversial, but I'd say using SWIG is a bad idea: we
expose for the people the internal APIs of pcbnew that we intend to
refactor in the near future. Any change to the BOARD storage model means
a change to the scripting API. IMHO we should have a more pythonish API
that hides all C++ stuff from the python side completely and is
independent from the changes in pcbnew's core.

Cheers,
Tom