Re: STEP Export

On 9/21/2016 7:27 PM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> OK, I've updated the branch with the following changes:
>
> 1. removed wxT() from kicad2step and dialogs. The remaining wxT()
> instances are created by wxFormBuilder.
>
> 2. refined the Export STEP GUI for cases in which the exporter
> fails (returns an error or segfaults).

Thanks for the fixes.  I got everything merged on my computer at work so
I'll just pick up where I left off tomorrow.

> It also just occurred to me that sometimes the OCE library may
> cause a hang. I can work on a generic dialog to launch an
> external app which connects to the apps stdout + stderr and
> which has a CANCEL button to kill the process - any comments?
> Should I put such a dialog into the "common" library?

I'm wondering if you could make something abstract enough to work in all
the places where we run external apps.  These dialogs always seem pretty
task specific like the netlist and bom dialogs?  You could try I guess.

> The fact that a process using OCE can hang brings up the
> question of whether it is better to leave kicad2step as a
> separate app or whether it is generally OK as a plugin and
> the odd crash due to bugs in OCE and/or the STEP/IGES
> models would be acceptable. We can stuff the plugin
> invocations into their own thread and check for completion,
> but unlike the case with a separate process, we cannot
> guarantee there is no memory corruption or leakage.
> Any thoughts?

Ughh!  You're not making me feel any better about oce.  It would be nice
to be able to kill a rouge process though.  Doesn't the oce library api
provide some kind of error reporting capability?

> Somewhat off-topic: grep shows me that the source code
> and headers are full of wxT().  Since wxT() had been
> deprecated years ago and KiCad is no longer compatible
> with versions of wxWidgets which required wxT(), perhaps
> we should ask devs to purge wxT() from the headers and
> sources which they touch? I think that might also get devs
> into the habit of not using wxT() - even I still use it without
> realizing it - bad habits die hard. :)

I caught myself using wxT() while writing the legacy schematic plugin
several times.  It will take time to get used to it but we will get
there.  If you happen to be working on a file, please feel free to
remove them.  I don't think we need to do the mass purge just yet.