Re: eeschema I/O plugin

On 11/2/2016 9:25 PM, Ian Roth wrote:
> I am working on an I/O plugin for eeschema and I would like to save
> wires in order of netlist, for example:
>
> netlist1
>   -wire1
>   -wire2
> netlist2
>   -wire3
>   -wire4

What is your reasoning for doing this?  I could be wrong but I don't
think this would be a good idea for users who use a VCS to track their
designs.  When the netlist gets rebuilt, there is no guarantee that the
wires assigned to a net will not get reordered by netlist generator.
This would create a large delta when saving the schematic.  To make this
VCS friendly, you would have to ensure consistent net naming when
generating the netlist which could be pretty complicated.

> It looks like the schematic I/O manager passes the screen, but not the
> SCH_EDIT_FRAME that contains the netlist functions to the plugin save
> function. Is it possible to get the netlist in the plugin in order to
> sort the wires?

This will not happen.  Adding any wxWindow knowledge to the schematic
I/O plugin is a poor design practice.  At some point (hopefully soon), I
will start working on a coherent SCHEMATIC object which will act as a
container for the entire schematic.  This will be the object that allows
you to generate the netlist, not SCH_EDIT_FRAME.