Re: Stable version 4.0.5

Hi all,

1. Boost 1.61 compatibility and bugfix?
2. Release version string.

Should the release should include the boost 1.61 fix. It was discussed in:
[Kicad-developers] About Bug 1604841: Pcbnew crash at moving via, and
boost::context fixes to make it compatible with boost 1.61

And there is a patch in [1], although it does not explicitly state
where it is from, but it looks similar to [2] and [3]. With out the
patch in [1] I can not build it against boost 1.62 on archlinux.
[...]
[1]https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/boost-1.61.patch?h=packages/kicad
[2]https://git.launchpad.net/kicad/commit/?id=06d4894fdbeb00727cdcc667b8899ad73d8eb1c2
[3]https://git.launchpad.net/kicad/commit/?id=78bc3c65de6c03d19be9902327d08cd4d87c229c
Regarding patches 1-3:

I'm still here reading mostly and supporting those patches, just that I've been busy finding a job and a project is going on too. So in short, these three patches, although commited individually actually belong together in the retrospective. Nothing has changed with regard to the fact that the public interface of boost::context requires c++11 compilation beginning with boost version 1.61, that's why it was decided to not apply them to stable back then.

The now-encapsulated-and-moved-to-detail parts of boost::context that Kicad uses for boost versions < 1.61 are actually still there, so it might be possible to use those, but it might also be the case that it's not possible to hide the c++11 header parts from the compiler when using them. Not even considering I think it would *really* not be a wise decision to rely on implementation details, especially looking into the future.

I think it would be best to just tell people they need to use a recent compiler (and the according standard switch) if they also want to use a recent boost and apply these patches to stable, iff there is a growing demand/complain-rate. But I will also try to help/assist/... finding a different solution, if it is in demand.

Cheers!
Michael