Re: Version string updates.

Correct.  Do we really need override the entire version string?  I've
been working under the assumption that we should be setting the base
version and users can use the optional variables to append to the base
version.  If we allow users to set the base version to anything, that
would open us up to version conflicts and/or errors (which has happened
in the past). I'm open to this idea but I want to make sure it's
necessary before I make any changes.  For stable releases, KICAD_VERSION
will be set to the version number so that should always be part of the
version string for stable releases.  This will work with source archives
and a git clone of the release tag.  In all other cases, the git
determines the base version string.