Re: Version string updates.

> Correct.  Do we really need override the entire version string?  I've
> been working under the assumption that we should be setting the base
> version and users can use the optional variables to append to the base
> version.  If we allow users to set the base version to anything, that
> would open us up to version conflicts and/or errors (which has happened
> in the past).

How are you going to handle it with KiCadVersion.cmake? As is now,
changing it will be a total override. Wouldn't it be better for it to
behave differently if it was a git repo, meaning to use the string if
the latest commit is that same tag. Otherwise you can still end up
with many 4.0.5 versions that are really not the same commit.

>I'm open to this idea but I want to make sure it's
> necessary before I make any changes.  For stable releases, KICAD_VERSION
> will be set to the version number so that should always be part of the
> version string for stable releases.  This will work with source archives
> and a git clone of the release tag.  In all other cases, the git
> determines the base version string.

This is not how it works on the master branch now. The
KiCadVersion.cmake overrides in all cases.