Re: Footprint properties: Normal, Normal+Insert

Le 15/12/2016 à 09:42, Michael Steinberg a écrit :
> Am 14.12.2016 um 21:21 schrieb jp charras:
>> Le 14/12/2016 à 20:51, Chris Pavlina a écrit :
>>> Can we rename "Normal" and "Normal+Insert" to "THT" and "SMT", or
>>> "Through hole" and "Surface mount", or something similarly descriptive?
>>> I *still* have to mouse over for the tooltip to remember which is
>>> which...
>>>
>> I agree.
>> But do not use short names.
>>
>> "Through hole component" and "Surface mount component", or something similar is better, because too
>> short names are *really* hard to translate.
> Hello!
> While I understand the argument, I have to confess that I don't particularly like when standard
> terms are translated to my language, especially if it takes screen estate. In the end you will need
> to learn them anyways. Then again it's no problem to simply use the english version in first place...

We always have to take care with too short I18N sentences in dialogs (and in Kicad code when
generating messages).

Too short sentences create issues because the same English word (if the sentence is very short, is
is only one word) can be translated by different words, depending on the context.

Therefore, if the translation is good in a given dialog, it can be ridiculous in an other dialog.
This is the reason I asked for not using short names or too short sentences, even if they are "standard"

For "standard terms", they are not always so standard, and keep them not translated can be
ridiculous or ambiguous:
for instance THT is a "standard term" in French, but has an other meaning (Tres Haute Tension = High
Voltage)

Ambiguity comes from mixing English and French sentences/words in the same dialog.

You cannot really mix translated and not translated words in dialogs and sentences, unless the
English word is also widely used in the translated language (this is not the case of THT and SMT).
--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS