Our awful error messages

There's another little project I'd like to work on in the month or so I
have off now:

https://misc.c4757p.com/outline-error.png

We have way too many error messages like that. That is, in my opinion,
completely unacceptable. It's confusing and intimidating to anyone
unfamiliar with kicad's... unique style of error reporting.

1. We should NOT say things like "from specctra_export.cpp :
fillBOUNDARY() line:1165". Who needs that? Users certainly do not.
Developers can attach a debugger and backtrace to see where the message
is from. Developers reading bug reports can grep the source for the
error text.

2. Similarly, we should NOT say things like "IO_ERROR". First of all
it's wrong, that is not an IO error, we need more exception classes.
Second of all what sort of user cares which internal exception class
triggered an error message??

3. Broken English. "Therefore use the board boundary box."? Come on.

Is anybody going to protest removing the silly dev information from the
error messages?

--
Chris

Follow ups