Re: PCB update behavior

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 14:00:50 +0100, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> Someone on #kicad has noticed that "Perform PCB update" removes
> components that were placed only in pcbnew without a schematic symbol
> counterpart assigned. It works as if "delete extra footprints" option
> was always enabled when reading a netlist. The drawback is it removes
> logos, mounting holes, etc. that were placed at later stage.
>
> What is the right way to perform a PCB update? Shall we keep components
> with empty schematic sheet path (i.e. placed in pcbnew) or force users
> to maintain component & footprint links?

I've always had schematic symbols linked to things like holes, fiducials,
logos, layer labels, etc.  Typically somewhere on my front sheet.  I'd not
object if it were necessary, but I imagine some others like that the link is
not 100% necessary.  Could we mark such components so that delete extra
wouldn't remove them and nor would the pcb update?

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69