Re: Current state of ActionPlugin

slightly off-topic (again?) but it just came to mind.....

currently if option X requires Y then Y is forced on if not already
on. is there a way to differentiate between an explicit OFF and an
implicit OFF that we could use to force on if implicit but error if
explicitly off.

This might be useful if a user/packager/compiler is not aware that X
requires Y but he can't/doesn't want Y for whatever reason.

i am not sure how much sense i am making so an example maybe

USER decides to build themselves, he doesn't want or have python but
the action menu sounds interesting.
USER does cmake -DKICAD_PYTHON_SCRIPTING=NO -DKICAD_ACTION_MENU=ON.
kicad build fails due to lack of python. USER gets mad (this ones not
too bad as he can see in build log it was forced on)

if USER had python (but still didn't want it built in to kicad)
3months down the line USER has an issue, uses copy version info and
wonders why PYTHON_SCRIPTING=ON when USER said no.

or from a packagers perspective
PACKAGER likes to add all new features but has a set of packages which
don't require python
PACKAGER does does cmake -DKICAD_PYTHON_SCRIPTING=NO -DKICAD_ACTION_MENU=ON.
PACKAGER doesn't read log as its really long and requires effort
PACKAGER distributes packages saying "No python required, includes action menus"
USER downloads PACKAGERs package and doesn't have python and complains
because it doesn't run

Both of these would make it hard to glimpse at the cmake log unless
the packager makes it available in the latter case to see that it was
forced on (or dig into the source to find out why)

Simon