Re: [RFC] 3D models repository

On 2017-02-24 03:45 AM, Oliver Walters wrote:
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg27922.html
[snip]
First task is going to be moving the 3D models, as this will be
significantly easier.

e.g. something like GitHub.com/KiCad/packages3D
[snip]
To this end, I'd like some further information from those in the know:

A) is there any impediment to having the KISYS3DMOD envvar point to
somewhere different? e.g. ./KiCad/share/packages3D/Â

If the package libraries are to be restructured in github to be in one or two repos instead of 180 or so, why would that change the location where the packages are stored on the local computer? You can restructrure the github side without affecting things on the local computer. The program just needs to be updated to continue being able to fetch required files or packages.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.