[RFC] 3D models repository

Hi everyone,

Recently I raised this issue:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg27922.html

There were some good responses, thanks for the input.

First task is going to be moving the 3D models, as this will be
significantly easier.

e.g. something like GitHub.com/KiCad/packages3D

To this end, I'd like some further information from those in the know:

A) is there any impediment to having the KISYS3DMOD envvar point to
somewhere different? e.g. ./KiCad/share/packages3D/
B) To the package managers, how much effort to package 3D models from a
separate repo?
C) to the docs maintainers, would there be much to change if we redirected
the 3D repo?
D) Generally, what other considerations would be required?

Essentially, if I made this change right now without telling anyone, what
would I break?

As a side note there have been some great recent contributions to the 3D
data, with a fair bit of momentum over at the forums.

Regards,
Oliver

Follow ups