Re: RICHIO performance - 3 to 30 times slower than std::ifstream

On 3/2/2017 8:13 AM, John Beard wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Does this patch get applied on top of the previous patch or does it
>> replace the previous patch.
>
> Sorry, that wasn't very clear! It's a new patch, all rebased into one
> commit, since I messed with it quite a bit and the intermediate state
> is not very exciting.
>
> Let me know if there's a better location for it in the tree. Since
> it's not actually a test or part of QA process, but rather
> development, I moved it out of qa.

I committed your patch as is.  I guess technically it's not a unit test
in the traditional sense so it's fine to leave it in the tools folder
since there are similar bits of code there already.  Thanks again for
providing this useful tool.

One thing I overlooked is wxWidgets provides wxBufferedInputStream[1]
which takes a reference to a wxInputStream object as an argument.  The
reason wxFileInputStream and wxFFileInputStream may be so slow is that
they are not buffered at all internally and need to be wrapped by
wxBufferedInputStream to perform the buffering.  It might be something
worth taking a look at.

Cheers,

Wayne

[1]: http://docs.wxwidgets.org/3.0/classwx_buffered_input_stream.html