Re: MinGW UTF8 hell

On 2017-03-06 05:23 AM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
Does anyone have some idea what is going on?

I haven't been following this topic that closely but I know it is one that has been a source of pain for a while. I did a little research on the topic and found some information that I have included below. You may already know about it but in case you (and any others who may be working on this issue) don't I'm passing it along. I'm hoping there might be some nugget of information that may help.

In wxWidgets bug report #9743 (http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/9743) with the title "[unix] wxExecute handles UTF-8 incorrectly" points out a problem with the handling of UTF-8 characters that used to exist but that was fixed a long time ago.

In wxWidgets bug report #16206 (http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/16206) it has the following information near the end: The current locale is always used when converting wxString to char* to be passed to standard function, I'm sure this is mentioned in the docs somewhere but besides this is almost the definition of the current locale.

Information about compiling wxWidgets under MinGW/MSYS is available in their wiki at https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Compiling_wxWidgets_with_MinGW and shows a command line option "UNICODE=1".

The page at http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_unicode.html is about Unicode support in wxWidgets. It says that Unicode support is used by default as of the 3.0 version. Near the bottom of the page is information about variable types and UTF-8.

The page at http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_string.html (wxString Overview) includes some test programs that may or may not be useful in checking UTF-8 support.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.