Re: pretty folder content updating only with KiCad reboot

Fabrizio,

On 3/17/2017 9:43 AM, Fabrizio Tappero wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I apologize if this is something has been discussed already but I could
> not find any info about it.
>
> In my normal workflow, I created lib components and footprints while I
> work on the schematic and I do not seem to understand (mainly in CVPCB)
> how to update the content of a .pretty folder without having to restart
> KiCAD.

When you change a library using the footprint editor, the cache is (was
unless something has changed) updated when you make the change so any
changes should be available immediately unless we are inadvertently
keeping multiple copies of the footprint library table in memory.  If
you copy footprint files manually to a pretty folder or modify a
footprint file with a text editor, then it's possible the library wont
be updated.  I've never tested this so I cannot say for sure.

> Can anybody help? Shouldn't CVPCB just read the content of a pretty
> folder when it starts up. Or when such lib is selected in the right column?

The libraries are cached so they don't have to constantly be reloaded
every time cvpcb, pcbnew, or the footprint editor are run.  This is by
design because loading libraries can take be time consuming.