OpenGL fallback and video compat test

Hi,

I've been thinking about my intent to make KiCad fall back cleanly to
Cairo when OpenGL isn't available. From what I can see, there are
certain situations where trying to use OpenGL causes crashes that appear
very hard to prevent.

I really want to do something about this - they're hard to prevent, but
I still don't think it's acceptable to crash out on the user. What if we
compiled a small test binary that just tried to load an OpenGL canvas?
We should be able to test for functionality pretty easily by starting
that executable, and any crash would be confined to its own process. Is
anyone opposed to this? I know it's not the cleanest solution, but I
can't think of much better.

--
Chris

Follow ups