Re: OpenGL fallback and video compat test

That sounds like a reasonable approach if the lag time of running the test
is low enough to not be a nuisance.  Are these crashes you speak of ones
that appear when the user first tries to switch to OpenGL, or later?

One alternative approach (that might actually work well alongside yours) is
a crash sentinel.
Basically if you save some value somewhere that indicates a clean exit of
the program, then if you start the program and the value isn't as expected,
you can assume that the program crashed, and take some action (for example,
falling back to Cairo canvas as a "safe mode" and alerting the user)

-Jon