Re: [RFC] 3D models repository

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I'm still waiting for our friends at CERN for an answer on library
> licensing.  We are leaning towards CC-SA with the use exception clause.
> I turning out to be the longest time ever to write a single sentence. ;)

OK, better late than never. Here are the proposals:

For schematics symbols and for complete symbol libraries:

"This work is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0 License.
To the extent that circuit schematics that use Licensed Material can be
considered to be ‘Adapted Material’, then the copyright holder waives
article 3.b of the license with respect to these schematics."

For footprints and libraries of footprints:

"This work is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0 License.
To the extent that circuit layout that uses Licensed Material can be
considered to be ‘Adapted Material’, then the copyright holder waives
article 3.b of the license with respect to this layout."

This assumes we want a "weak copyleft" regime for libraries, i.e. we want
modifications to symbols/footprints/libraries to be published under the
same license, but we don't want to force people to publish their complete
designs under CC-BY-SA just because they used the KiCad libraries. Then
there is the issue of how to embed this information in symbols, symbol
libraries, footprints and footprint libraries. I am not competent to
comment on that.

Cheers,

Javier