Re: Hello & Questions to future Administration of Python Plugins

Hi Fabrizio,

I spend long hours doing schematics at work and I love the idea of
implementing python stuff that could make my life easier. Specifically
I spend a long time in library component generation and I would love
to do something about it. This could be done by creating new python
(or non python) tools to import component info or to created tools to
facilitate the contribution to the quality (and size) of the kicad
lib. Not really sure what is best.

With regard to library generation I think the footprint generator is a good example of what even a "standard" user can achieve with available python scripting support. Imagine one wants to quickly add pin headers with N pins where N ranges from 4 to 64.

Python scripts could be attached to F1, F2 and F3 general-purpose
buttons.

I did not check specifically, but I read somewhere that KiCad has something like a central point where shortcuts are set up right? In this case, executing a python script with a given name could be just another entry in this central configuration. This would
allow maximum flexibility.

However, you remind me of another thing and that is something like function call hooks. It would be really cool to have something like a python script that registers callback functions that are hooked to "pick up trace" and "drop trace" for example. Now with respect to the Via Fence generator and some clever coding, this could allow moving a trace with online rebuilding of the Via Fence when the trace is released again
after moving. Just an idea!

This people
would probably make kicad better. This would be classified as "kicad
user harvesting via python scripting for library component creation "
;-) a topic I always wanted to talk about on this mailing list.

I second that. Could be really powerful to the overall development of the KiCad Software

Best Regards
Simon