Ubuntu 16.04 build system cmake configuration error:

I am setting up an Ubuntu 16.04 build system for latest git development Kicad. In going through the documentation I thought that I understood that Kicad will pull down and compile it's own version of the BOOST libs if I don't have BOOST already installed on my system.

During the cmake configuration I am getting the following error

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindBoost.cmake:1677 (message):
  Unable to find the requested Boost libraries.

  Unable to find the Boost header files.  Please set BOOST_ROOT to the root
directory containing Boost or BOOST_INCLUDEDIR to the directory containing
  Boost's headers.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  qa/geometry/CMakeLists.txt:24 (find_package)

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND. Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
Boost_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)

Am I missing a cmake flag telling cmake to use internal versus external BOOST libs?

<https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers>

<https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers>

Follow ups