Re: Dealing with addition to kicad_pcb files

On 8/31/2017 1:21 PM, Bastian Neumannn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently building a feature that lets you input a via stack
> configuration.
> This information needs to be saved with the pcb data. So I tried putting
> it into
> the kicad_pcb file.
>
> Now older versions will not load the file because it has additional
> values that
> it did not expect.
>
> How do you deal with that problem?

The official policy is that file format changes must be backwards
compatible not forwards compatible.  In other words, the user will have
to download the version KiCad where the change was made.

If you make any changes to any of the file formats, you must increment
the file format rev number.  This will cause the appropriate exception
to be raised which will warn the user the file version is newer than the
file version supported by the version of KiCad they are using.

Since this is all very new and has not been planned for the stable 5
release, I would most likely merge this into the master branch after the
stable 5 branch is created.

Cheers,

Wayne