Re: KiCad Libraries (again)

Oliver, thanks for your efforts on this.

I have been thinking for a while that the current way libraries are located and downloaded could benefit from improvement:

- At present the symbol, footprint and 3d libs are/can be installed site-wide (e.g. Mac /Library/Application Support/kicad/ folder), and I believe for novice and intermediate users it is not obvious that this is the case or how to change it. I know the 'Configure paths dialog and the various library update actions exist, but I don't think it is a very good solution.

- It can be hard to find appropriate parts, especially if you want to include more than the official repo in your scope.

Would it be useful to have a library manager tool that could not only edit entries but also set up per-project library folders and manage which versions of which remote libraries are downloaded -- a bit like 'apt' and 'synaptic' do for linux packages, but with more control over where the packages were installed (e.g. per project, per user login, on a network share) and which versions were used, as for python's 'virtualenv'.

It might even be useful for the tool to be able to list which components came from which library and check whether the cached copy matches it.

Is this a direction the community would benefit from? If it were taken would it impact on the website work you are looking at?

Regards,

Ruth