Questions regarding .sweet format

Hi Wayne, others,

It has been a while since I have heard anything on here regarding the
.sweet format for schematic symbols.

I remember reading that Wayne was not wanting extra input on this, but this
was a very long time ago!

With my current effort to consolidate the libraries before v5 release, it
has again brought into focus the areas in which the current symbol file
formats are lacking.

For reference, the most recent version of the .sweet proposal I have been
able to find is here -
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/binDp0KdUNMWc.bin (perhaps
there is a newer one Wayne?)

Following is a short list of question:

*1.  Specify multiple functions for a single pin*

I have asked this before here -
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg27071.html - however I did
not really get much of a response.

It would be great to be able to assign multiple functions to a given pin,
and users can select a pin func (drop-down-box) which then enforces ERC
accordingly)

*2. Symbol Variants*

One of the pressing shortfalls in the current library scheme is that the
footprint field is common to all aliases. Thus, if a symbol is made for
e.g. a SOIC-8 there cannot be an alias for a DIP-8 version of the symbol.
Many components have pin-compatible footprints.

In this case, is it as simple as doing the following:

(part "MYPART_DIP-8" inherets "MYPART_SOIC-8"
  (footprint "DIPS:DIP-8")
)

That's how I read the specification document. If my reading is correct,
then I think that's great.

*3. Token Default Values*

The spec. doc. does not indicate what default values will be inferred from
a file that is missing particular tokens. e.g. does a text field missing
the "visible" tag default to YES or NO?

Thanks,

Oliver

Follow ups