Questions about translation files

I'm trying to contribute to the translation of KiCad for the first time but have not (yet) understood how all the pieces come together in the build process, so please forgive the lengthy post.

Using JS Reynaud's Nightly builds for Linux to test the simulation features I've hit a few spots where the German translations are not up to date (i.e. mixed English/German buttons).

I pulled the kicad master branch and the kicad-i18n master branch.

Using poedit I extracted all strings according to the guide at http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/stable/en/gui_translation_howto.html

Comparing the result to the existing 'kicad-i18n/de/kicad.po' file shows that some of the English strings have changed, which (at least for me) explains why the translation is missing.

One example is at line 5016 ff. in the 'kicad-i18n/de/kicad.po' file:

(https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-i18n/blob/e38926518dbcbfa9cc8681e18e2f6012085f4c6e/de/kicad.po#L5016):

That paragraph reads

>  #: eeschema/dialogs/dialog_edit_component_in_schematic_fbp.cpp:107
>  #: eeschema/onrightclick.cpp:381
>  msgid "Reset to Default"
>  msgstr "Rücksetzen auf Standardeinstellungen"

while poedit extracted the following from the kicad master branch:

>  #: eeschema/dialogs/dialog_edit_component_in_schematic_fbp.cpp:107
>  msgid "Reset Field Properties"
>  msgstr ""

Long story short:
Would it be OK to just replace the 'old' msgid with the new one that poedit extracted and modify the translation accordingly?

The second thing that I am unsure how to handle is a translation in the eeschema component libraries setup. The buttons to move a path up or down in the list are labelled 'Up'/'Down'.

The translation for 'Up' is done like this:

(https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-i18n/blob/e38926518dbcbfa9cc8681e18e2f6012085f4c6e/de/kicad.po#L5246)

>  #: eeschema/dialogs/dialog_edit_label_base.cpp:70
> #: eeschema/dialogs/dialog_eeschema_config_fbp.cpp:53 eeschema/lib_pin.cpp:116
>  msgid "Up"
>  msgstr "Oben"

but from the context a more precise translation would be 'Hoch' instead of 'Oben'. Can I just split the translations so that this part in the kicad.po file would read:

>  #: eeschema/dialogs/dialog_edit_label_base.cpp:70
>  msgid "Up"
>  msgstr "Oben"

> #: eeschema/dialogs/dialog_eeschema_config_fbp.cpp:53 eeschema/lib_pin.cpp:116
>  msgid "Up"
>  msgstr "Hoch"

If this is not the way it is done, what's the right way?

Cheers,

Ingo

--
---
HTWG Konstanz

Fakultät Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Ingo Kletti

Alfred-Wachtel-Strasse 8
78462 Konstanz
Germany