Re: Update of KiCad documentation? (when to release kicad-5.0)

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 03:17:18PM +0100, Nick Østergaard wrote:
> Everything for the docs should be in the github project
> https://github.com/kicad/kicad-doc
>
> As far as I know there is no collection of notes on what features needs to
> be documented. We may need to get an overview of this before having any
> real idea of what is really missing. Anyone with the motivation to get into
> this please proceed.

I completely agree here.
There is not even a NEWS list in the source code.

I come from the translation of the GIMP project and I usually compare its
development with the KiCad model. And if I see some fields that could be
improved I report my thoughts here. Hope you appreciate it.
Take the GIMP dev as an example:

https://developer.gimp.org/git.html
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/NEWS

With GIMP it is so easy for the doc authors to remain updatded, even
though those are few and people that are not really developers, to read
the NEWS file and update the docs accordingly.

I mean, in the old days devs had the habit to compile the Changelog file.
Now this habit is out of fashion because of the (git) diff command.
But diff output is far too rich to be useful.

This is my suggestion:

Dev programmers whose group of patches were made accepted in the master
tree should at least write a line in the (now inexistent) NEWS file.

That should be made during or immediately afterwards the git merge.
Now tracing the new features of KiCad could be very difficult.

TIA

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa