Re: KiCad (macOS) wxWidgets fork

Hi,

Am 15.01.2018 um 00:56 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:

>> 1) Branch name
>> wxWidgets has a lot of branches (I’ll see if we can delete what we don’t
>> need).
>> To be consistent to the usual development flow, I’d propose to add the
>> patches new branches.
>> I’d name them
>>   KiCad_<original branch name>
>> If we want to emphasise that this is only for macOS, we could also use
>>   KiCad_macOS_<original branch name>
>> Opinions, decisions (@Wayne)?
>
> We should make it obvious that it is a branch of wxwidgets for kicad
> specifically patched for macos to avoid any confusion.
based on my experiences in other projects I suggest to use topic and
prefixed branch names. I'd avoid the usage of capital letters.

e.g.
kicad/macos-10
kicad/macos-11
kicad/wx-3.0.3

> 2) Commits
> The branch should always be rebased to wxWidgets changes, so all
> patches will stay at the top.
Rethink about rebasing to hold the branches in sync with upstream as
this breaks clones of your branches due smashed SHA IDs and people would
need to do a hard reset. Just merge any upstream changes as usual into
your branches, in case you want to address / forward your work to
upstream you also would do a merge request then. That's the typicall
workflow I know in such cases.

> I still find it somehow difficult to see where original branch ends
> and own changes start.> Should we add some prefix “KiCad: …” to all commit messages?

I see no need to do so as you work on "your" branch and merge commits
are visible as that they are, I personally do some prefixing in my work
in the subject for the file, component, part, OS (...) the commit is about.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert