Re: Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

On 1/15/2018 10:23 AM, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>>> 3. What are the plans for providing coherent library names and the
>>> introducing new libraries?
>> We will try to limit such problems. But it might still happen that a library
>> will be split up into multiple libs if the library gets too large.
> I had an idea on solving this. Not sure if this is the right place for
> this suggestion (since it probably requires code changes in KiCad), but
> it seems relevant enough. I can imagine that KiCad either gets a way to:
>  1) include all libraries in a given directory (e.g.
>     /usr/share/kicad/something). This should be re-evaluated whenever
>     KiCad starts up, so there should be an explicit
>     "/usr/share/kicad/library/*.lib" entry in the table (or something
>     like that), as opposed to actually putting each library in the table
>     individually, or
>  2) include a secondary library table from the normal one. Then any kicad
>     library package can ship such a secondary library table, and update
>     it to reflect the new list of libraries.
>
> I think these would apply to both symbols and footprints equally. Option
> 2) seems more elegant and flexible to me. Both options should be able to
> provide pretty seamless library upgrades for users (and can even be
> extended to third party library collections, or a user's own libraries).

KiCad should not be determining which libraries get loaded just because
our library layout gets more complex.  I would reject any design changed
that loaded libraries outside the users control.  Maybe I'm misreading
this but it kind of sounds like that to me.