Re: Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

Hi folks,

> > 3. What are the plans for providing coherent library names and the
> > introducing new libraries?
> We will try to limit such problems. But it might still happen that a library
> will be split up into multiple libs if the library gets too large.
I had an idea on solving this. Not sure if this is the right place for
this suggestion (since it probably requires code changes in KiCad), but
it seems relevant enough. I can imagine that KiCad either gets a way to:
 1) include all libraries in a given directory (e.g.
    /usr/share/kicad/something). This should be re-evaluated whenever
    KiCad starts up, so there should be an explicit
    "/usr/share/kicad/library/*.lib" entry in the table (or something
    like that), as opposed to actually putting each library in the table
    individually, or
 2) include a secondary library table from the normal one. Then any kicad
    library package can ship such a secondary library table, and update
    it to reflect the new list of libraries.

I think these would apply to both symbols and footprints equally. Option
2) seems more elegant and flexible to me. Both options should be able to
provide pretty seamless library upgrades for users (and can even be
extended to third party library collections, or a user's own libraries).

Has something like this ever been considered before?

Gr.

Matthijs