Re: KiCad talk at FOSDEM

On 2/5/2018 9:43 PM, Ouabache Designworks wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Thank you everyone for the feedback.  Unfortunately I only have 20
>     minutes for my talk so I have to fit in what I can.  I could easily
>     have filled up a 1 hour talk and still needed more time.  I actually
>     spend most of my time talking about KiCad outside of my
>     presentation.  At 7PM last night I was talking to the LibreSpace[1]
>     project and found out there is a board designed with KiCad orbiting
>     earth.  How awesome is that!  It's more fun for me to see all of the
>     great things users are doing with KiCad.  I think that's more
>

> Perhaps we need to push for a meeting format that better meets our needs
> rather than try to shoe horn into an existing slot.
>
> My main concern about the donation amount is that at some point kicad
> will be big enough to need a some what more formal
> legal presence. Form a non-profit with a board of directors so you can
> do things like hold trademarks and sue people. We may
> have reached that point already. It is the last thing most developers
> want to deal with but otherwise you become a easy target.
>
> John Eaton

Hey John,

Thanks for the advice and the concern.  I am acutely aware of the
potential legal issues and I have been actively seeking advice to
protect both the KiCad project and developers.  I think we have some
time before KiCad becomes a financial threat to the industry players
that is why I am trying to get things in place sooner rather than later.
 As these developments take place, I will make the appropriate
announcements.

Cheers,